Monday 18 March 2013

Meeting


Sydney has a tradition with me that she insists upon, having a daily meeting together.  Every day she will remind me that we need to have our meeting or have forgotten to have it and then takes me by the hand into the formal living room where we seat ourselves on the couch and love seat facing each other.  She crosses her little legs, folds her hands and puts them on top of her knees and says in the most serious voice "So Mom, what's new to you?"

After I answer her first question she starts rapid firing questions at me, "What did you do while I was at preschool today?"  "Are you available for a play date with me on June 16th?"  "Do you want to help me with some baking later today in my little kitchen?"

It is so adorable!  She takes the meeting so seriously.  At least once during the half hour session she gets up to show me some crazy gymnastics move which she prefaces by saying "Mom, the meeting's not over, but watch this!"

My friend Lori gave Sydney her own calendar for Valentine's Day.  Each month has a blank page that you are meant to colour a picture in.  Sydney is in love with this calendar.  She asked Daddy to hang it up next to her little kitchen in the living room and I often see her jotting notes in it throughout the day. 


She often consults her little calendar when we are having our meeting just to make sure that our schedules jive.


I love this very special time with Sydney, it is so interesting to hear what she's thinking about and to have the chance to ask her back some very pointed questions as well.  Some of her answers are so funny!  I love that we get the chance to make plans together and talk about fun things coming up too.

I often bring a cup of tea or a glass of wine to the meeting, Sydney always fetches me a coaster and puts it on the table in front of me, so sweet!


Yesterday night while we were lying in bed chatting before she fell asleep she said, completely unprompted, "I have the best Mommy in the whole world!"  I could have died, it was the sweetest, most sincere comment that literally brought tears to my eyes.

I love this age and stage that she's at.  My girl, may we never ever stop having our meetings!

No comments:

Post a Comment