Monday 5 August 2013

BC Day Long Weekend


I have to admit that I headed into this long weekend feeling particularly demotivated to do much of anything.  I was feeling rather tired after a busy July and Paul had to work most of the weekend, so I thought that I would take the opportunity to disconnect for a few days and recharge.

It was nice, quiet and mellow with lots of time just chilling in the back yard and organizing things throughout the house.  I'm in a purging kind of mood these days, sorting and weeding through cupboards and drawers and rooms and now trying to decide the best way to get rid of all the clutter!

I spent a fair amount of time in the kitchen over the past few days, making lots of yummy dinners with the bounty of fresh, local produce that is available these days.  I love this time of year for all the fresh fruit and veggies that are readily available!

I made yet another zucchini recipe, mini zucchini bites made in my mini cupcake pan:


They were yummy and took literally five minutes to whip together!

Sydney decided that she wanted to go to Granville Island this weekend to feed the birds so we took a giant bag of bird seed and let her loose.



On our way walking back to the car we stopped to feed some ducks in a pond and ran into her classmate Addi and sister Sienna.  It was so fun seeing the girls outside of school and between the three girls they emptied the bird seed bag and made the ducks happy as could be!

We had a little picnic at the park beside Royal Van Yacht club, it was so lovely overlooking the boats and ocean and mountains while we snuggled up on our picnic blanket.



Sydney has been so into watching TV and playing on the computer and iPad these days!  This is something new for me as she has previously been completely disinterested in TV.  I'm not sure if it's just a summer phase that she's going through or what but there have been more that a few struggles trying to peel her away from a screen of one sort or the other!

The other day she was typing away on Paul's laptop and I looked over to see this:


She had typed all our names and the word 'love'.  She told me it was because she loved us so much!

Sydney has been riding her bike like crazy!  We spent an afternoon in Steveston on Sunday and she cycled along the boardwalk with glee.


We stopped by the Steveston Farmer's Market which happened to be taking place while we were there.






I thought I'd take advantage of the fact we were in Steveston and have my annual treat of fish and chips.



We had a little visit with Paul's Mom too, Syd just loves decorating the sidewalk in front of her house in sidewalk chalk!


I blew up Sydney's giant beach ball sprinkler this weekend too, she had such fun playing with it!


We took a little walk along the beach at Kits beach while Sydney cycled ahead of us and stopped to play at the park there.


Then we headed off to Cafe Callabria on Commercial Drive for a delicious panini lunch and some gelato.  It was a lovely way to spend an afteroon!



I am feeling refreshed and ready to face a new, albeit short, week.  Sydney is signed up for art camp this week which will get us up and out the door bright and early for the next few days.  It will be good practice for when school starts in the fall!

Hope you had a lovely long weekend!  Happy BC Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment