Thursday 19 June 2014

Goodbye Bet Preschool


I am writing this post on the eve of Sydney's very last day of preschool.  It is a day that I wished would never come, and yet, despite my best efforts to slow the clock down, here we are, saying goodbye to our beloved, sacred space and the teachers and families that we have grown to love so incredibly much.


It seems funny to me that years ago when I was looking for a preschool for Sydney that I was so resistant to take Sydney to this preschool, where we had to drive ten minutes to get there, when there were four or five perfectly good preschools within walking distance of our home.  What I didn't realize is what a magical space this place was and how much the families would become like family to us, a community that became part of the fabric of our daily lives.



We shared celebrations, holidays, heartbreak, laughter and tears together over the past three years.  How could I have ever known that these Mommas would become some of my best friends and how dearly I am going to miss seeing them every day?





And then there's the teachers.  The precious, precious teachers who have taught me so much about honouring and respecting children and creating an environment in which they can thrive and grow and learn to their greatest potential.  I have written several times before about Sydney's exceptional relationship with her teacher Jen.  They have an amazingly special bond that has so greatly impacted Sydney in such a positive way that is hard to put words to it.




Sydney loves Jen and Jen loves her right back.  Pure, sincere love.  How can I begin to say thank you to someone for loving my child as if she were her own?  Jen is one of the most special people I have ever met in my life and Sydney and I will remember her as long as we live!

And then there's Carmen, also an amazing teacher who quickly became my friend.  She openly shares her heart and life with me and through a couple of tough years personally, has remained such a warm and positive light in Sydney's classroom.  She has so much love for the children, always a smile on her face and she and Sydney's mutual love of Hello Kitty has been a source of many days of joy!



Carmen and I will remain friends long after Sydney's graduation ceremony tomorrow, I am sure of it!

What I'm not sure about is how I am going to say goodbye to this place that has been our second home for so long.  It seems unfathomable to imagine life without the presence of these people in our lives on a daily basis.  I had no idea that this day would be so incredibly hard.


Sydney is growing up, there is no denying it.  She is so ready to start Kindergarten.  Jen and Carmen have done an amazing job of preparing her for what is about to come.  And I will be there through it all with her in the years to come, cheering her on as she rapidly moves from year to year at school.  Who could ask for anything more wonderful than a lifetime ahead of us to build precious new memories.

So tonight, on the eve of the day we bid adieu to one chapter of Sydney's life and welcome another, I am filled with gratitude for the most incredible first schooling experience I could have ever wished for for my daughter.  It was perfection.  I am thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment