Saturday 13 September 2014

First Week of Kindergarten


Well it's official, Sydney is a school girl!  We just finished up her first week of Kindergarten and I couldn't be more proud of her.  In five short days she has adjusted so beautifully to her new school and space.

This week was gradual entry, meaning Sydney was in school from 8:30 until 1:00 instead of the usual 8:30 to 3:00 that she will be next week.  The teachers asked for the parents to stay for the first half hour of each day this week to help the girls transition into class before ringing a bell to signal that the girls were meant to gather on the carpet for their morning meeting.

Every morning when we arrived at school there would be a little station set up on a placemat with each child's name with an activity to work on together.  Sydney loved roaming around the classroom to find her name and even took some time to decorate her name tag!

I loved watching how adeptly Sydney completed each of the assignments with little to no help from me!  She is going to rock this year, I can feel it now!

The first few goodbyes this week were hard for her, there were tears and a hundred hugs and some stressful moments, but by day number three she bravely sat next to her teacher in the circle and watched as I waved goodbye.  She is feeling more comfortable by the day, I can feel it!

Syd came home at the end of the week with a giant ziploc mail bag filled with her work from the week, some beautiful artwork and her PS Book, a poem and story book, that she is meant to share with us once a week.  Inside the book this week was a beautiful poem about the start of Kindergarten.



I am loving too how I can already feel myself starting to foster some great relationships with a few of the moms from her class as well.  It's slowly starting to feel like home.  It feels good!

A few other great moments from this week:

Fall has arrived!

We spent a bunch of time last week setting up some fall decorations around the house and doing a few fall crafts together.









Fall is, hands down, my favourite season of the year and I love bringing a bit of it into our living space!

A Gondola Ride

This morning Sydney and I took a ride up to Squamish to meet up with my cousin Melanie and ride the brand new Sea to Sky gondola.  This very cool ride takes you thousands of feet up to the summit of a mountain where there is the most amazing view, restaurant, gift shop, suspension bridge and trails.






We had lunch together basking in the sun on the patio before braving the suspension bridge and wandering along a few of the trails.

Melanie's fiance, Randy, works at the gondola so I had the chance to meet him for the first time too.  It was a very special day spending time with Melanie and catching up together.

Riding Lessons

Sydney has started another round of riding lessons for the fall on Saturday afternoons along with her friend Emma.  She was so thrilled to be back in the saddle and that Daddy could come along to watch her ride!





Noa's Birthday


Last Sunday we had the pleasure of celebrating Sydney's buddy Noa's 5th birthday with her at a party at her home.  The kids played games and had pizza and snacks in Noa's treehouse before having cupcakes and opening presents together.  What a fun time celebrating a precious friend!








Flowers from Jenny


My sweet friend Jennifer gave me the most beautiful bouquet of flowers this week out of the blue when Sydney came over to play with Julia.  Totally brightened my day!





Art Class


Sydney's fall art classes have started up again, this morning was her first one in the artist of the month series.  They are learning about the Japanese artist Hokusai and started their canvas inspired by his art today. 


I am feeling weary after a long week working full days at Paul's office covering for his receptionist who has just left to return to school.  Between working, transitioning Syd into Kindergarten, interviewing new candidates and keeping up with things at home there has hardly been a moment to myself and I am feeling it.  I am in awe of my own Mom and the many other working Mommas out there who swiftly manage working full time and balancing a home.  I felt like I failed at both this week, a ball was dropping at any given point as I madly tried to keep them all in the air.

Praying for easier days ahead and a wonderful new replacement at Paul's office so that I can get back into my usual rhythm and routine.

What a big week!

No comments:

Post a Comment