Monday 12 January 2015

First Day Back

Today was Sydney's first day back at school for 2015 after the winter break.  She was so excited to be going back to school this morning, I wasn't sure if I should be happy or have hurt feelings at how anxious she was to get out the door!

Every day when I pick Syd up from school I ask her about her day, longing to hear specific details about what she's done, new things she's learned, who she's played with etc.  Most of the time I, in fact, get very few details and a few one word answers to my questions.  She is undeniably happy but holds her school day close to her chest as far as sharing details with me.


Today she could hardly wait to tell me all about her day, she nearly exploded at bedtime telling me things as she processed her day while lying in bed, her beloved teacher had gotten married over Christmas break and was now called Mrs. Carlson, she did a whole new station rotation in PE, she started a new drawing and writing book #2 for the second semester, she saw the postcards we'd sent from Hawaii in class.


I loved hearing all the details, in fact I let her keep talking well past when she should have been asleep just to glean as much as I could about her day, savouring it as I know I won't always get this much detail.

It's funny to think that I have a school-aged girl.  Baby days are behind me, teenage years are a long ways away, it's the sweet spot many parents dream about but don't know they're in until it's too late.  I'm determined to savour it all, every sweet moment with my precious five year old before it disappears.  Now if only I could figure out how to slow the clock down....

No comments:

Post a Comment